The warmer weather has hit and you are itching to get outside and enjoy the sunshine. Before you head off to a local beach or a walk at the park, why not throw open some windows, pull out your spring cleaning checklist and clear out the winter build up of dust and grime?
I know, I know the sunshine is calling. No one wants to be cleaning when they can be outside playing! However, to that I would say, no one wants to come back into the dusty, dark cave after being outside in the warm, bright sunshine, either.
Our spring cleaning checklist will have your house clean and sparkly in no time. Leaving you all the time in the world for laying on the sand, walking in the park and frolicking in the woods all summer long.
Don’t be overwhelmed with the list below. It seems like a lot and I know the sunshine is calling. Feel free to break it up into daily chunks over the next week and make it work however is best for you.
Let’s get started…
General Spring Cleaning Checklist That Umbrellas The Entire House:
- Dust crown moldings and baseboards
- Vacuum cobwebs from light fixtures and nooks and crannies
- Dust ceiling fans
- Clear the doorway scuff marks off
- Wash your walls – paying close attention to those high traffic areas; stairwells and hallways.
- Touch up paint
- Wash curtains
- Wipe down blinds
- Clean windows (don’t forget their tracks because they fill up with dust and dirt)
- Pull cushions off the sofa and clean the base portion as well as the outer
- Clean your lampshades
- Dust your air vents and change out the filters
- Dust your mirrors, hanging pictures/art frames
- Replace your batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Have your chimney serviced
- Shampoo carpets (or hire someone to do this for you)
- Clear the counters of anything does not belong
- Wash out the trash can
- Clean the microwave –
- Spray the inside with a mix of 50/50 water/vinegar, leave it to sit for a few minutes and then wipe clean, VOILA! Brand new with no effort.
- Deep clean the dishwasher –
- Pull it all apart, and clean out the gunk build up, Once it is back together then run a full cycle while empty with vinegar on the hottest setting. Then sprinkle the bottom with baking soda and run it through one last time. This will have it smelling, looking and feeling fresh. Not to mention cleaning your dishes as though it were brand new.
- Clean the oven
- Hood Vent
- Stove top burners
- Remove all the knobs and scrub with baking soda and toothbrush
- Go through your plastics to match up with their lids.
- Remove any that do not fit together or are broken
- Sort through your kitchen drawers and remove anything that does not belong
- Clear out unused dishes
- Sanitize your wooden cutting board with a dash of salt and half a lemon
- Our the salt on your cutting board
- Rub it with the lemon, ensuring it is covered
- Rinse and your are ready to start fresh.
- Give under your sink a clear out…removing any unused items
- Wipe down any light switches, oven knobs, cupboard and fridge handles
- Wash and refill soap dispensers
- Remove and wash light fixtures
- Wash down your fan and vent fixtures
- Wash out your shower
- Wipe down the exterior of your bathtub or shower
- This is a good time to remove the gunk buildup on the plastic strip at the bottom of your shower door.
- Wash the bathroom windows both inside and out.
- Don’t forget the window sill where all the mildew builds up
- Wash your bath mat
- Wipe down the fronts of cabinets
- Wash your handles, mirror and door frames, light switches and toilet paper holder
- Descale your shower head
- Reseal the tiles in your bathtub and bathroom sink
- Organize and wipe out your cupboards and drawers
- Return all items that don’t belong to their rightful homes
- Remove all cushions from furniture to vacuum underneath and in between
- Leather furniture? This is a great time to condition it
- Dust your ceiling fans
- Switch them over to spin clockwise to keep your house cool in the coming months
- Clean your free standing lamps
- Dust your bookshelves
- Wash your windows inside and out
- Don’t forget the window tracks
- Dust your gaming consoles, DVD players, remotes and TV
- Wipe down the walls
- Wash the baseboards
- Fill a laundry basket with anything that does not belong and return it to its home.
- Give the baseboards a wipe down
- Remove any cobwebs from ceiling and corners
- Wash the windows and window tracks
- Wipe down the window sills
- Wipe down mirrors
- Dust lamps and their shades
- Dust ceiling fan blades off
- Wipe down door knobs and light switch covers
- Switch out the winter clothes for summer clothes
- Donate anything that is too small
- Clean out night stands
- Flip your mattress
- Clean your mattress
- Wash bed sheets including the duvet and not just the cover
- Wash pillows
- Vacuum – EVERYWHERE
- Shampoo carpet
- Kids room – sort through toys and clear out anything that has been outgrown or broken
WOW! That was a lot of work. Are you exhausted? I know I am just writing this.
Did I miss anything? What do you like to include on your spring cleaning checklist? Feel free to connect with us on any of our social channels and share your spring cleaning tips or hacks. We could always use some new ones.